Thursday, October 30, 2008

California Voters: Why You Should Vote NO on Prop 8







As many of you know, on November 4, 2008, voters in California whether or not to take away the rights of gay couples to marry. If Proposition 8 passes, it will be the first time in history that discrimination is written into the state constitution. Prop 8 targets a specific group and says they are no longer equal under the eyes of the law. It's discrimination and we cannot tolerate that in our state. Prop 8 is hurtful and damaging.

My friends, over the past several weeks I have donated significant time and money to the NO on 8 campaign. For me, it is still not enough. So, over the next few days I will dedicate this blog to the NO on 8 campaign. This issue is of utter importance and something I felt the need to share with all my loyal readers. I've included several videos (one blog post down) so you can see the faces and hear the stories of why Prop 8 must be defeated.

Please, if you are a registered voter in California, Vote NO on 8.
Call friends, families, neighbors, professors, - anyone who will listen to you. Tell them 8 is all about Hate. NO on 8. Visit www.noonprop8.com to find out other ways you can help.

Finally, I'd like to leave you with a note a friend sent to me emphasizing the importance for everyone to speak out and against this hateful proposition:

Many of you may think, "I'm straight, what does this have to do with me?" Well, it is an important moment of conscience and commitment, and a time for us to reflect and to remember the words of the Rev. Martin Niemoller:

"In Germany, they came first for the Communists, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Communist;

And then they came for the trade unionists, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a trade unionist;

And then they came for the Jews, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Jew;

And then . . . they came for me . . . And by that time there was no one left to speak up."